Monday, June 11, 2007

Taiko Drums and Pau Riders



It's the season of celebration in Hawaii Nei! On Friday night it started with the Pan Pacific Festival and Waikiki block party on Kalakaua Avenue. It was my first time doing this fair, so I probably got there a little too early to set up. (It started at 7pm and I was there at 2:30 - do you think I was a little bit too anxious?).



It was fun watching the minah birds and tourists while I waited in the parking lot compliments of the US Postal Service. Maybe free parking in Waikiki is why the rates went up on stamps? I was asked to be there at least by 4 and then the police didn't close the street until 5:30 and set up took until almost 7. I'd make a rotten Bedoin.
I was a campfire girl because the uniforms were to die for... but maybe I should have joined the Girl Scouts instead.
The street festival was filled with delicious smells, loud noises (I was next to the Taiko Drummers on one side and a guy selling local music CD's on the other) and some very nice people.


April felt like a celebrity with Japanese Tourists wanting to take their photos with her. I explained to her that it was because she was so pretty and she said "NOT!" She is such a big help at these fairs and is quite the little sales lady/model.

No comments: